How to transfer a personalised number plate

Search Number Plates



How to change cherished number plates

Under the DVLA Cherished Number Plate Transfer Scheme, the DVLA allows you to transfer a personal number plate from one vehicle to another.
So what's the transfer process for private number plates?
Transferring car registration numbers is pretty straightforward. We've outlined the main steps here:
How to transfer a personalised number plate
You can apply to transfer a UK personal number plate using the DVLA number plate transfer form V317Transferring a Car Registration Number”. You can pick up a V317 form from your local DVLA office.
Or you can download the V317 form from
Complete the V317 personal number plate transfer (UK) form. Then either take it or send it to your local DVLA office, with the following documents:
Original Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5 / V5C) for both vehicles. If you’ve just acquired the vehicle, see instructions on the V317 form for alternative documentation
Original MOT certificate for each vehicle that requires one.
Your vehicle may not be old enough to need an MOT certificate. See Can I transfer my personal number plate? for more information on vehicles that qualify for the DVLA Cherished Number Plate Transfer Scheme.
Photocopy of vehicle licence discs (tax discs).
The DVLA requests the disc expiry date and serial number. However, we advise that you enclose a photocopy to be on the safe side.
Don’t send the original tax disc as you will need this while your number plate transfer is being processed.


Can I transfer my personal number plate if MOT or tax has run out?
How long to transfer a personal number plate?
Transfer of a cherished personal number plate doesn't take long - usually a couple of weeks or so.
Sometimes, before approving the transfer of a registration number, the DVLA office may decide to inspect your vehicle. This will be to confirm the vehicle’s entitlement to the registration number. In particular, they will check the VIN number and chassis plate. The DVLA office will let you know if they wish to inspect the vehicle.

In our experience, older vehicles in particular are often inspected.

If you are asked to produce the vehicle for inspection and the MOT / tax has expired, have it transported to the DVLA office. Don’t drive it there.


How do I get a new registration number?

When you transfer a personal number plate to another vehicle, you will need a replacement registration number. When your application to transfer the private number plate is approved, the DVLA will allocate a replacement registration number that reflects the age of the vehicle. If possible, the DVLA will try to re-issue the vehicle's previous registration number - but there's no guarantee they will do this.
The DVLA will issue a replacement registration number for the donor vehicle, which will reflect its age. If the donor vehicle was registered before 1963, it will be issued with a replacement dateless registration number that may not reflect its exact age.
Replacement registration numbers are allocated as non-transferable. That means you cannot sell the replacement registration. You can, however, replace it with another private number plate at a later date.
All you need to do then is have the number plates made up.
What happens when the...

Personal number plate transfer is approved?

When the personal number plate transfer has been approved, the DVLA will issue replacement documents – V5 / V5C registration document, tax disc, and MOT certificate (if applicable) for both vehicles – reflecting the replacement registration numbers.
The registration number on the receiving vehicle will be cancelled. You can apply to retain the registration number if you want to keep it.

What does it ...

...cost to transfer a personal number plate?
DVLA cherished number plate transfer fees
Application to transfer a personal registration number: DVLA fee £80
Back to transfer number plate home page
This information is for your guidance only. It is not intended as a definitive guide or a formal contract. You should refer to the DVLA for full rules and regulations.